Our Slog (Ships Log) with a Satelite View
Google Map loading...
Eric & Sherrell
Google Map loading...
Posted on Friday Jun 30, 2006
So you might be wondering why we have hooked up an air conditioner. I know we both are, but the reality of being stuck in the hot marina, with little wind and lots of humidity has driven us to it. Ok that, and someone loaned us one for the summer.
We justify it by saying Sherrell really needs the dry air to heal. And it has made a tremendous difference in how fast her skin is closing up. One day of AC has done more for her than a week of just resting in the humidity. She's almost closed back up.
In a weird sort of way, we prided ourselves as being the only ones without AC, but now we're looking at how to insulate around it with some foam we found. What a switch. Anyway, just to record this strange turning point in our lives in hopes that we haven't turned soft. I took a picture of it in the companion way when I first pluged it in and packed some towels and stuff around it to test it.
Posted on Monday Jun 26, 2006
If you're reading this we can now post our slog updates directly from the boat. How cool is that?
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Posted on Sunday Jun 25, 2006
Hopefully this is the last. We went to
Only 2 days after removing the mass Sherrell felt better than before the surgery. She didn’t realize how badly it had been bothering her. The tests came back negative for bacteria and cancer and the doctors best guess is it could be related to a side-effect of radiation (and an old MCTD problem in remission) or the hematoma. Anyway Sherrell’s doing a lot better and we’ll get our lives back yet. She’ll have all summer to heal now!
Posted on Saturday Jun 17, 2006
We had a great time surfing with our friends at a beach about 76km north of
In the meantime, we took a homeless cat (they keep getting dumped at the marina) to the shelter to get fixed. We have to pick her back up today, but we think we’ve found someone to adopt her. Now we just need to figure out what to do with the 6 kittens, and 2 other adult cats before they multiply.
Hopefully, things will go well and we’ll be back quickly!
Posted on Wednesday Jun 7, 2006
We canÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢t seem to shake them. Sherrell returned from Guadalajara after a good scare. The doctor thought her soreness and swelling was a really bad sign, so they did some samples and found no cancer. Then before they cut her open for more tissue, she remembered falling very hard about 2 months ago. They took a closer look and thought maybe the problem was a hematoma. So they numbed her and took about 100ccÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s of trapped blood, to everyoneÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s relief it was just a hematoma. But now sheÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s sore and we have to go back again in 10 days for another exam.
Also they took another look at SherrellÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s gall stone which shows up in the liver ultrasound and recommended getting it treated before it gets inflamed. So, itÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s hard to tell what might go down in the next few weeks ahead. Hopefully weÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢ll get it all straightened out and Sherrell can stop seeing these characters.
We did get some work down on the boat. I scrubbed out our fuel tank and the bilge. Installed a new fuel hose. Cleaned the boat, again and again. ItÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s getting hotter and more humid.
MexicoÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s already had the first stupid storm of the hurricane season but thatÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s yet another set of problems I donÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢t want to think about.
So we are going to try some surfing in a new spot with our friends before they head back to the US for a few weeks. ThereÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s supposed to be a really nice summer wave at this place, Selistinos. WeÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢re going to have a good time there!
Posted on Monday May 22, 2006
Posted on Wednesday May 17, 2006
The 130nm leg was a bit of a bummer. We only were able to sail for about 30 miles, and we beat into it the whole way. At least we got to sail. Normally it is a difficult direction along this coast to sail, so Sherrell keeps reminding me that 30 miles of sailing was more than she expected. Anyway the wind was dead calm most of the night, but the seas were rolly and bumpy.
It took us about 25 hours to get here, which was really quite fast. We had to wait for the dredge to stop working so we could enter the channel and since it’s only open for 20 minutes, there was a pile up of boats coming out. To top it off, there were some occasional HUGE waves that were breaking across the entire entrance. If that wasn’t a challenge enough, we had a 4 boat pile up once we got inside the breakwater. I had to slam the boat into reverse and turn hard to avoid the chaos from the various boats that weren’t paying any attention. It was a good thing it happened to us instead of our friends that went in front of us -- because of our small size we were able to maneuver through the mess of boats (not without a bit of a heart attack) without hitting anything.
Anyway we’re here now and tucked in with lots of fresh water and power. Now to catch-up on some lost sleep!
Posted on Monday May 8, 2006
We`re about 100 nm north of PV in a bay that has some great waves in the
Spring and Summer for surfing. We`ve already spent two days surfing and
now we hitched a ride into San Blas to pick up some veggies and fruit and
use the internet.
We`ll be departing for Mazatlan in about 10 days to meet up with my mom
who is flying in for a visit!
Posted on Monday Apr 24, 2006
Heading north from Tenacatita, we stopped at Chamela and decided to try to push on around Cabo Corrientes (a nasty cape about 65 miles away) the next day. However about 2 hours out we were getting soaked from crashing waves, and Ocean Lady and us made the group decision to go back to Chamela and snorkel for a few days until the weather was better.
I’m glad we did because the visibility was over 25 feet and we saw an amazing amount of sea life: moray eels, tuna, lobsters, angel fish, puffer fish, coral, brightly colored parrot fish and a ton of stuff we didn’t recognize. So after four days of snorkeling a weather window started to open up and we went for it.
Posted on Monday Apr 10, 2006
Well, it`s time to start the 1,000 mile journey back up in to the northern
Sea of Cortez to avoid hurricanes.
Our time here in Barra de Navidad is too short, so we`ll have to stop back
by here next season before Central America.
For now though, our sights are set on Tenacatita, a full 12 miles from
here. I don`t know if we`ll be able to handle the long passage, but we`ll