Our Slog (Ships Log) with a Satelite View
Google Map loading...
Eric & Sherrell
Google Map loading...
Posted on Wednesday Jun 7, 2006
We canÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢t seem to shake them. Sherrell returned from Guadalajara after a good scare. The doctor thought her soreness and swelling was a really bad sign, so they did some samples and found no cancer. Then before they cut her open for more tissue, she remembered falling very hard about 2 months ago. They took a closer look and thought maybe the problem was a hematoma. So they numbed her and took about 100ccÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s of trapped blood, to everyoneÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s relief it was just a hematoma. But now sheÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s sore and we have to go back again in 10 days for another exam.
Also they took another look at SherrellÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s gall stone which shows up in the liver ultrasound and recommended getting it treated before it gets inflamed. So, itÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s hard to tell what might go down in the next few weeks ahead. Hopefully weÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢ll get it all straightened out and Sherrell can stop seeing these characters.
We did get some work down on the boat. I scrubbed out our fuel tank and the bilge. Installed a new fuel hose. Cleaned the boat, again and again. ItÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s getting hotter and more humid.
MexicoÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s already had the first stupid storm of the hurricane season but thatÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s yet another set of problems I donÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢t want to think about.
So we are going to try some surfing in a new spot with our friends before they head back to the US for a few weeks. ThereÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢s supposed to be a really nice summer wave at this place, Selistinos. WeÃ?Â¢Ã¢â??Â¬Ã¢â??Â¢re going to have a good time there!
Posted on Monday May 22, 2006
Posted on Wednesday May 17, 2006
The 130nm leg was a bit of a bummer. We only were able to sail for about 30 miles, and we beat into it the whole way. At least we got to sail. Normally it is a difficult direction along this coast to sail, so Sherrell keeps reminding me that 30 miles of sailing was more than she expected. Anyway the wind was dead calm most of the night, but the seas were rolly and bumpy.
It took us about 25 hours to get here, which was really quite fast. We had to wait for the dredge to stop working so we could enter the channel and since it’s only open for 20 minutes, there was a pile up of boats coming out. To top it off, there were some occasional HUGE waves that were breaking across the entire entrance. If that wasn’t a challenge enough, we had a 4 boat pile up once we got inside the breakwater. I had to slam the boat into reverse and turn hard to avoid the chaos from the various boats that weren’t paying any attention. It was a good thing it happened to us instead of our friends that went in front of us -- because of our small size we were able to maneuver through the mess of boats (not without a bit of a heart attack) without hitting anything.
Anyway we’re here now and tucked in with lots of fresh water and power. Now to catch-up on some lost sleep!
Posted on Monday May 8, 2006
We`re about 100 nm north of PV in a bay that has some great waves in the
Spring and Summer for surfing. We`ve already spent two days surfing and
now we hitched a ride into San Blas to pick up some veggies and fruit and
use the internet.
We`ll be departing for Mazatlan in about 10 days to meet up with my mom
who is flying in for a visit!
Posted on Monday Apr 24, 2006
Heading north from Tenacatita, we stopped at Chamela and decided to try to push on around Cabo Corrientes (a nasty cape about 65 miles away) the next day. However about 2 hours out we were getting soaked from crashing waves, and Ocean Lady and us made the group decision to go back to Chamela and snorkel for a few days until the weather was better.
I’m glad we did because the visibility was over 25 feet and we saw an amazing amount of sea life: moray eels, tuna, lobsters, angel fish, puffer fish, coral, brightly colored parrot fish and a ton of stuff we didn’t recognize. So after four days of snorkeling a weather window started to open up and we went for it.
Posted on Monday Apr 10, 2006
Well, it`s time to start the 1,000 mile journey back up in to the northern
Sea of Cortez to avoid hurricanes.
Our time here in Barra de Navidad is too short, so we`ll have to stop back
by here next season before Central America.
For now though, our sights are set on Tenacatita, a full 12 miles from
here. I don`t know if we`ll be able to handle the long passage, but we`ll
Posted on Monday Apr 3, 2006
Posted on Wednesday Mar 29, 2006
We did an overnight leg from PV to Tenacatita, met up with friends for the
night, then left the next day for Barra de Navidad. This place has a
great anchorage, a nice town and even a good surf spot. We`ll probably
hang out here for a while before we start to work our way back north.
Posted on Friday Mar 24, 2006
We’re going to leave the
It will be nice to be in a more remote area and to see some of our friends again!
Posted on Sunday Mar 5, 2006
We departed Mazatlan 3/2 and traveled to Isla Isabela a beautiful bird
sanctuary about 92 miles away. However the tiny anchorage was packed with
boats so we squeezed in and slept for about 4 hours then raised anchor and
left. It is too bad because we both really wanted to see the birds on the
island for over a year now. So when we finally arrived and found it
packed with boats that had no plans of leaving we were bummed.
Oh well, we were on a schedule anyway. We still have to find a slip then
get to Guadalajara for surgery, return back and meet family. So far
everything has worked better than expected. We arrived in La Cruz almost
48 hours after leaving Mazatlan. We found a good spot to anchor near old
friends. We called one of the marinas and found one that would let us tie
up to some pilings while we are in Guadalajara. Pretty amazing. I wish
our logistics always worked out this easy.
Anyway, surgery next week, recovery then returning for visiting family
will keep us busy. I am sure things will keep going as smoothly as
everything has so far.